5 Easy and Effective Fitness Tips for Seniors
As a senior, it may get more difficult to stay in shape as you grow older. Instead of forgoing exercise altogether and increasing health issues, be practice and take control of your fitness and health. Here are 5 easy and effective fitness tips for seniors to help you stay fit and in shape in order to improve overall health and quality of life!
- Talk to your doctor about which exercises are right for you. Depending on your age, health, and fitness levels, your doctor will be able to recommend the types of exercises and movements that are right for you. Always consult your healthcare provider before beginning any new diet or exercise regimen to ensure this routine is right for you and your needs. Doctors can also suggest exercises or movements to stay away from to avoid injury or health problems.
- Try yoga. Often seniors are hesitant to try yoga because it sounds intimidating and difficult. In reality, it is one of the most helpful exercise options for seniors. There are so many different type of yoga, so you will be able to find one that is accessible for you. Especially for seniors, gentle yoga classes such as yin yoga or restorative can help improve flexibility gently while promoting calm, and relaxation. This type of yoga will keep you body moving while also helping to improve your mind and attitude. Also, be sure to inform your instructor of any health issues or injuries ahead of time so that he or she can provide you with adjustments or posture variations to keep you safe and comfortable.
- Walk daily. Often walking is one of the simplest and most effective ways to stay in shape and stick to a fitness routine as a senior. Try parking your car a little bit further away from the store while running errands or taking the stairs instead of an elevator. Another option is to include a walk around the block into your routine each morning. Try to walk for at least 30 minutes to see results and feel your best, no matter your age.
- Start exercising with a friend. Often the best way to stay motivated and committed to exercising regularly is to set a goal and a plan with a friend or family member. This will help ensure that both of you succeed with your fitness goals. When you hold yourself accountable to someone else and they are counting on you, you are much more likely to stay on track instead of coming up with excuses or developing poor fitness habits.
- Finally work on some light strength training. Be sure to keep your muscles toned and strong by lifting light weights. This is a simple exercise you can do at a gym such as Fitness 19, or you can keep a set of weights at home for use in your spare time. Weights range in heft from light one pounders and up. Ideally, try lifting around 5 pounds and increase the weight gradually as you grow stronger!
Utilizing these fitness tips for seniors can help you to stay in shape and healthy as you age. Eating well and starting a safe, healthy exercise regimen can make a huge difference on your over all health as well as your mood and lifestyle.
More to Read: